- The definition of a grandfather is the parent of either your mother or your father.
An example of a grandfather is your mom's dad.
- To grandfather is defined as allow someone to continue to abide by old rules, even when new ones are passed.
An example of grandfather is when a town changes its zoning rules but allows a home to remain residential even though the area has been changed to commercial.
Two children with their grandfather.
grandfather definition by Webster's New World
- the father of one's father or mother: also a term of respectful familiarity to any elderly man
- a male ancestor; forefather
grandfather definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The father of one's mother or father.
- A forefather; an ancestor.
Origin: V., from grandfather clause.
grandfather - Legal Definition