- The definition of a grandfather is the parent of either your mother or your father.
An example of a grandfather is your mom's dad.
- To grandfather is defined as allow someone to continue to abide by old rules, even when new ones are passed.
An example of grandfather is when a town changes its zoning rules but allows a home to remain residential even though the area has been changed to commercial.
Two children with their grandfather.
- the father of one's father or mother: also a term of respectful familiarity to any elderly man
- a male ancestor; forefather
- The father of one's mother or father.
- A forefather; an ancestor.
transitive verbgrand·fa·thered, grand·fa·ther·ing, grand·fa·thers
Origin of grandfatherV., from grandfather clause.
- (father of someone’s father) paternal grandfather
- (father of someone’s mother) maternal grandfather
(third-person singular simple present grandfathers, present participle grandfathering, simple past and past participle grandfathered)
- To retain existing laws or rules only for those people or organisations that were previously affected by them, and apply new laws or rules to the unaffected people or organisations.
From grandfather clause
grandfather - Legal Definition