- The definition of an ancestor is a person or creature from whom one is descended or who lived in the past, or a person who came before.
- Your great great-grandfather is an example of an ancestor.
- King David and King Solomon are each an example of an ancestor of Jesus.
- The Middle Eastern wildcat is an example of an ancestor of the modern house cat.
ancestor definition by Webster's New World
- any person from whom one is descended, esp. one earlier in a family line than a grandparent; forefather; forebear
- an early type of animal from which later kinds have evolved
- anything regarded as a precursor or forerunner of a later thing
- Law the deceased person from whom an estate has been inherited
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ancestre ; from Classical Latin antecessor, one who goes before ; from past participle of antecedere ; from ante-, before plush cedere, to go
ancestor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person from whom one is descended, especially if more remote than a grandparent; a forebear.
- A forerunner or predecessor.
- Law The person from whom an estate has been inherited.
- Biology The actual or hypothetical organism or stock from which later kinds evolved.
Origin: Middle English auncestre, from Old French, from Latin antecessor, predecessor, from antecessus, past participle of antecēdere, to precede : ante-, ante- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.
ancestor - Legal Definition
- One, such as a parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, who precedes another in lineage.
- Any relative from whom one inherits by intestate succession.