- Archaic freedom from some restriction, servitude, etc.
- any special right, privilege, or exemption granted by the government, as to be a corporation, operate a public utility, etc.
- the right to vote; suffrage: usually preceded by the
- the right to market a product or provide a service, often exclusive for a specified area, as granted by a manufacturer or company
- a business granted such a right
- the right to own a member team as granted by a league in certain professional sports
- such a member team
Origin of franchiseMiddle English from Old French from franc, free: see frank
transitive verb-·chised·, -·chis·ing