- Fist is defined as your hand when you bunch up your fingers so they touch your palm.
When you have balled up your fingers as you are about to punch someone, this is an example of a fist.
A womans fist.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a hand with the fingers closed tightly into the palm, as for hitting; clenched hand
- a hand
- the grasp
- Printing a sign () used to direct special attention to something
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English fyst, akin to German faust (OHG fūst), probably ; from Indo-European an unverified form pṇksti ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps base an unverified form penkwe, five, inch(es) sense “clenched five (fingers)”
- to hit with the fist
- to grasp or handle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The hand closed tightly with the fingers bent against the palm.
- Informal A grasp; a clutch: had a fortune in their fists and let it go.
- Printing See index.
- To clench into a fist.
- To grasp with the fist.
- Vulgar To insert the fist into the rectum or vagina of (another) as a means of sexual stimulation.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English fȳst; see penkwe in Indo-European roots.