- The definition of a feeler is when you tentatively make a proposal or bring up an idea just to see what other people think and if they are receptive to it.
An example of feeler is when you tentatively raise the idea of maybe moving, just to get an idea of your spouse's opinion.
feeler definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person or thing that feels
- a specialized sensory organ that projects typically from the head of an animal, esp. an insect
- a remark, question, offer, etc. made to feel out another
feeler definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Something, such as a hint or question, designed to elicit the attitudes or intentions of others.
- Zoology A sensory or tactile organ, such as an antenna, tentacle, or barbel.
feeler - Phrases/Idioms
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
see put out feelers.
feeler - Science Definition
A slender body part used for touching or sensing. The antennae of insects and the barbels of catfish are feelers.