- ER is defined as an abbreviation for emergency room.
An example of an ER is the section of a hospital for immediate care.
- Er is defined as something you say when you hesitate during a conversation or talk.
An example of er is what is written in a radio transcript when someone pauses.
A hospital ER.
er definition by Webster's New World
- Baseball earned run
- emergency room
Origin: Middle English -er(e) ; from Old English -ere ; from West Germanic an unverified form -arj, an unverified form -ārj ; from or akin to, and reinforced by, Classical Latin -arius, -arium, agentive suffixes (Anglo-Fr -er, -ier), Classical Latin -ar (OFr -er), Classical Latin -atur (OFr -ëure), Classical Latin -atorium (OFr -ëor, French -oir), Classical Latin -ator (OFr -ëor)
- a person having to do with, esp. as an occupation or profession: added to nouns: hatter, geographer
- a person native to or living in: added to place names and nouns: New Yorker, cottager
- a thing or action connected with: added to nouns, noun compounds, and noun phrases
- a person or thing that ____s: added to verbs: roller
Origin: ME -re, -er < OE -raforming the comparative degree of many adjectives and adverbs: later, greater
Origin: ME < Anglo-Fr inf. suffixthe action of ____ing: added to verb bases in legal language: demurrer, repleader
Origin: ME -ren, -rien < OE -rian, freq. suffixrepeatedly: added to verbs and verb bases: flicker, patter
er definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. One that performs a specified action: swimmer.b. One that undergoes or is capable of undergoing a specified action: broiler.c. One that has: ten-pounder.d. One associated or involved with: banker.
- a. Native or resident of: New Yorker.b. One that is: foreigner.
Origin: Middle English, partly from Old English -ere (from Germanic *-ārjaz, from Latin -ārius, -ary), partly from Anglo-French -er (from Old French -ier, from Latin -ārius) and partly from Old French -ere, -eor; see -or1.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English -re, -ra.
er - Medical Definition
- emergency room
- endoplasmic reticulum