- a person or thing that feels
- a specialized sensory organ that projects typically from the head of an animal, esp. an insect
- Informal a remark, question, offer, etc. made to feel out another: usually used in pl.
The definition of a feeler is when you tentatively make a proposal or bring up an idea just to see what other people think and if they are receptive to it.
An example of feeler is when you tentatively raise the idea of maybe moving, just to get an idea of your spouse's opinion.
- Something, such as a hint or question, designed to elicit the attitudes or intentions of others.
- Zoology A sensory or tactile organ, such as an antenna, tentacle, or barbel.
A slender body part used for touching or sensing. The antennae of insects and the barbels of catfish are feelers.
feeler - Medical Definition
Zoology A sensory or tactile organ, such as an antenna, tentacle, or barbel.
- Such obvious features as the number of segments in the foot and the shape of the feeler were used by the early entomologists for distinguishing the great groups of beetles.
- The Passalidae are a tropical family of beetles generally considered to be intermediate between stag-beetles and chafers, the enlarged segments of the feeler being capable of close approximation.
- Fielde show that an ant follows her own old track by a scent exercised by the tenth segment of the feeler, recognizes other inmates of her nest by a sense of smell resident in the eleventh segment, is guided to the eggs, maggots and pupae, which she has to tend, by sensation through the eighth and ninth segments, and appreciates the general smell of the nest itself by means of organs in the twelfth segment.
- - a, Saw-toothed Grain-Beetle (Silvanus surinamensis); b, pupa; c, larva, magnified 12 times; d, feeler of larva.
- I and 25) have the terminal antennal segments pectinate, and so arranged that the comb-like part of the feeler cannot be curled up, while the elytra completely cover the abdomen.