- of the same quantity, size, number, value, degree, intensity, quality, etc.
- having the same rights, privileges, ability, rank, etc.
- evenly proportioned; balanced or uniform in effect or operation
- having the necessary ability, strength, power, capacity, or courage: with to: equal to the challenge
- Archaic fair; just; impartial
- Archaic smooth and flat; level
- Archaic equable
ME < L aequalis, equal < aequus, level, even, flat
any thing or person that is equal: to be the equal of another
transitive verb equaled or equalled, equaling or equalling
- to be equal to; match in value, degree, etc.
- to do or make something equal to: to equal a record
- Archaic to make equal; equalize