The definition of a cornet is something cone shaped, such as a brass musical instrument like a trumpet.
An example of a cornet is an ice cream cone.
- a brass instrument similar to the trumpet in pitch and construction but more compact and with a deeper mouthpiece
- a piece of paper twisted like a cone, for holding sugar, candy, etc.
- a cone-shaped piece of pastry, often filled as with whipped cream
- the spreading, white headdress of a Sister of Charity
Origin of cornetMiddle English and amp; OFr, diminutive of corn, a horn ; from Classical Latin cornu, horn
- Music A wind instrument of the trumpet class, having three valves operated by pistons.
- A piece of paper twisted into a cone and used to hold small wares such as candy or nuts.
- A headdress, often cone-shaped, worn by women in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Origin of cornetMiddle English, from Old French, diminutive of corn, horn, from Latin cornū; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots.
From Old French cornet, diminutive of a popular reflex of Latin cornū (“horn”).