- The definition of a cornet is something cone shaped, such as a brass musical instrument like a trumpet.
An example of a cornet is an ice cream cone.
cornet definition by Webster's New World
- a brass instrument similar to the trumpet in pitch and construction but more compact and with a deeper mouthpiece
- a piece of paper twisted like a cone, for holding sugar, candy, etc.
- a cone-shaped piece of pastry, often filled as with whipped cream
- the spreading, white headdress of a Sister of Charity
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French diminutive of corn, a horn ; from Classical Latin cornu, horn
cornet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Music A wind instrument of the trumpet class, having three valves operated by pistons.
- also A piece of paper twisted into a cone and used to hold small wares such as candy or nuts.
- also A headdress, often cone-shaped, worn by women in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, diminutive of corn, horn, from Latin cornū; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots.