- Present participle of compute.
Variant of compute
transitive verbcomputed, computing
- to determine (a number, amount, etc.) by arithmetic; calculate
- to determine or calculate by using a computer
Origin of computeClassical Latin computare ; from com-, with + putare, to reckon, origin, originally , to prune: see pure
- to determine a number, amount, etc.
- to use a computer
- Informal to make sense; seem reasonable; add up: an explanation that does not compute
computation: chiefly in the phrase