- The definition of compute means to add up, or to calculate with the use of a computer.
An example of compute is adding up items on a receipt.
- to determine (a number, amount, etc.) by arithmetic; calculate
- to determine or calculate by using a computer
Origin: Classical Latin computare ; from com-, with plush putare, to reckon, origin, originally , to prune: see pure
- to determine a number, amount, etc.
- to use a computer
- Informal to make sense; seem reasonable; add up: an explanation that does not compute
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb com·put·ed, com·put·ing, com·putes verb, transitive
- To determine by mathematics, especially by numerical methods: computed the tax due. See Synonyms at calculate.
- To determine by the use of a computer.
- To determine an amount or number.
- To use a computer.
- Informal To be reasonable, plausible, or consistent; make sense: Your alibi doesn't compute.
Origin: French computer, from Old French, from Latin computāre : com-, com- + putāre, to reckon; see pau-2 in Indo-European roots. N., Late Latin computus, from Latin computāre, to compute.
- com·putˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- com·putˈa·ble adjective
compute - Computer Definition
To perform mathematical operations or general computer processing. For an explanation of "The 3 C's," or how the computer processes data, see computer.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.