A baby at her christening ceremony.
- When a baby is baptized into the Christian church and is given the Christian baptismal name of Mary, this is an example of achristening.
- When you give the nickname of Cousin It to the especially hairy guy at work, this is an example of christening him with the name Cousin It.
- When you have your very first glass of champagne in your brand new house, this is an example of christening your house.
The definition of christening is a baptism ceremony in the Christian religion in which a baby is given a Christian name, or giving anything or anyone a name, or using something for the first time.
the Christian act or ceremony of baptizing and giving a name to an infant; baptism
Origin of christeningMiddle English cristninge: see christen
- The Christian sacrament of baptizing and naming an infant.
- An inaugural ceremony in which something is declared ready for use, as when a newly built ship is named and launched.
- Present participle of christen.