A baby at her christening ceremony.
- The definition of christening is a baptism ceremony in the Christian religion in which a baby is given a Christian name, or giving anything or anyone a name, or using something for the first time.
- When a baby is baptized into the Christian church and is given the Christian baptismal name of Mary, this is an example of achristening.
- When you give the nickname of Cousin It to the especially hairy guy at work, this is an example of christening him with the name Cousin It.
- When you have your very first glass of champagne in your brand new house, this is an example of christening your house.
the Christian act or ceremony of baptizing and giving a name to an infant; baptism
Origin of christeningMiddle English cristninge: see christen
- The Christian sacrament of baptizing and naming an infant.
- An inaugural ceremony in which something is declared ready for use, as when a newly built ship is named and launched.
- Present participle of christen.