Variant of title
- the name of a book, chapter, poem, essay, picture, statue, piece of music, play, film, etc.
- title page
- a literary work of a particular title: 150 new titles in the publisher's fall catalog
- a descriptive name or appellation; epithet
- an appellation given to a person or family as a sign of privilege, distinction, rank, or profession
- a claim or right
- in sports and other competition, a championship
- Ch. of England a source of income or field of work required of a candidate for ordination
- Film, TV words shown on the screen that give credit to someone for work done, translate a segment of foreign dialogue, etc.: usually used in pl.
- the name of a statute or act; also, the heading designating a legal proceeding
- a division of a law book, statute, etc., usually larger than a section or article
- a right to ownership, esp. of real estate
- evidence of such right of ownership
- a document stating such a right; deed
Origin of titleOld French ; from Classical Latin titulus, inscription, label, title, sign