chip shotchip shot
Golf a short, lofted shot, made esp. from just off the putting green
A short lofted golf stroke, used in approaching the green.
(plural chip shots)
- (golf) An approach shot made from a location a short distance from the golf green in which the ball is launched into the air with only low or moderate force, so that it will land on the green and roll toward the hole.
- (American football) A relatively easy field goal, made from a short distance.
- (soccer) A shot in which the ball is kicked from underneath with accuracy but with less than maximum force, to launch it high into the air in order either to pass it over the heads of opponents or to score a goal.
- (curling) A takeout shot aimed at hitting a rock at an angle.
- (some other sports) The achievement of a goal or the striking of a target with a ball or other projectile in relatively nonchallenging or routine circumstances, by throwing (as in basketball) or by discharging a firearm (as in hunting).
- (idiomatic, by extension) Something that is easy to do or to achieve.
- Alternative form of chip shot.