This mosaic is an example of Byzantine art.
- An example of Byzantine is the Basilica of San Vitale in Rome.
- An example of Byzantine is a person born in the city now known as Istanbul in the year 305.
The definition of Byzantine is someone or something that belongs to, relates to or is from the Byzantine Empire or the ancient city of Byzantium.
- of Byzantium or the Byzantine Empire, or its people or culture
- of or pertaining to the Eastern Orthodox Church
- resembling the government or politics of the Byzantine Empire in structure, spirit, etc.; specif., characterized by complexity, deviousness, intrigue, etc.
- Archit. designating or of a style developed in Byzantium and E Europe between the 4th and 15th cent., characterized by domes over square areas, round arches, elaborate mosaics, etc.
- Art designating or of the decorative style of the mosaics, frescoes, etc. of the Byzantine Empire, characterized by lack of perspective, use of rich colors, esp. gold, and emphasis on religious symbolism
Origin of ByzantineClassical Latin Byzantinus
a person born or living in Byzantium
- a. Of or relating to the ancient city of Byzantium.b. Of or relating to the Byzantine Empire.
- Of or belonging to the style of architecture developed from the fifth century AD in the Byzantine Empire, characterized especially by a central dome resting on a cube formed by four round arches and their pendentives and by the extensive use of surface decoration, especially veined marble panels, low relief carving, and colored glass mosaics.
- Of the painting and decorative style developed in the Byzantine Empire, characterized by formality of design, frontal stylized presentation of figures, rich use of color, especially gold, and generally religious subject matter.
- a. Of the Eastern Orthodox Church or the rites performed in it.b. Of an Eastern Catholic church that maintains the worship of the Eastern Orthodox Church or the rites performed in it.
- often byzantinea. Of, relating to, or characterized by intrigue; scheming or devious: “a fine hand for Byzantine deals and cozy arrangements” (New York).b. Highly complicated; intricate and involved: a bill to simplify the byzantine tax structure.
A native or inhabitant of Byzantium or the Byzantine Empire.
(comparative more byzantine, superlative most byzantine)
- Alternative spelling of Byzantine.
- (historical) A byzant (coin).