- of Byzantium or the Byzantine Empire, or its people or culture
- of or pertaining to the Eastern Orthodox Church
- [occas.b-] resembling the government or politics of the Byzantine Empire in structure, spirit, etc.; specif., characterized by complexity, deviousness, intrigue, etc.
- Archit. designating or of a style developed in Byzantium and E Europe between the 4th and 15th cent., characterized by domes over square areas, round arches, elaborate mosaics, etc.
- Art designating or of the decorative style of the mosaics, frescoes, etc. of the Byzantine Empire, characterized by lack of perspective, use of rich colors, esp. gold, and emphasis on religious symbolism
Origin of ByzantineClassical Latin Byzantinus