This horse has been bred to produce this foal.
- An example of bred is to have given birth to a baby.
- An example of bred is to have mated a race horse.
The definition of bred means to have made an offspring.
Past tense and past participle of breed.
- simple past tense and past participle of breed
Variant of breed
transitive verbbred, breeding
- to bring forth (offspring) from the womb or hatch (young) from the egg
- to be the source of; produce: ignorance breeds prejudice
- to cause to reproduce; raise, esp. by controlled mating: to breed dogs
- to produce (plants) by selective pollination
- to mate with
- to develop (a stock or certain characteristics in it) by such mating or pollination
- to bring up, train, or educate: he was bred to be a gentleman
- to produce (fissile material) in a breeder reactor
Origin of breedMiddle English breden ; from Old English bredan ; from brod, fetus, hatching: see brood
- to be produced; originate: crime breeds in slums
- to bring forth offspring; reproduce
- a group, or stock, of animals or plants descended from common ancestors and having similar characteristics, esp. such a group cultivated by humans
- a kind; sort; type: men of the same breed