A stack of ring binders.
binder definition by Webster's New World
- a person who binds; specif., a bookbinder
- a thing that binds or holds together; specif.,
- a band, cord, etc.
- a material that binds things together: tar is a binder for gravel in paving
- a detachable cover with rings or clamps for holding sheets of paper together
- a leaf of tobacco rolled around the filler of a cigar to bind it
- ☆ Agric.
- a device attached to a reaper, for tying grain in bundles
- a machine that both reaps and binds grain
- Law a temporary memorandum of a contract, in effect pending execution of the final contract
binder definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that binds, especially a bookbinder.
- Something, such as a cord, used to bind.
- A notebook cover with rings or clamps for holding sheets of paper.
- Something, such as the latex in certain paints, that creates uniform consistency, solidification, or cohesion.
- a. A machine that reaps and ties grain.b. An attachment on a reaping machine that ties grain in bundles.
- Law A payment or written statement making an agreement legally binding until the completion of a formal contract, especially an insurance contract.
- Ecology A plant, such as certain grasses or ground covers, whose habit of growth prevents the erosion of sand or soil.
binder - Business Definition
binder - Computer Definition
An earlier Microsoft Office workbook file that let users combine related documents from different Office applications. The documents could be viewed, saved, opened, e-mailed and printed as a group. Binder was an ActiveX Documents container, and Office applications were ActiveX Documents servers. The documents were ActiveX Documents objects, formerly known as DocObjects. Introduced with Office 97, Binder was dropped in Office XP. See ActiveX Documents.
binder - Investment & Finance Definition
- Money that is paid as part of a contract to show good faith until the transaction is completed.
- In the insurance industry, a binder provides proof to the insured that coverage has been approved until the actual insurance policy is delivered and the payment is submitted to the insurance company. A binder is a letter guaranteeing insurance coverage.
binder - Legal Definition
- A document giving a person temporary insurance coverage until her application for insurance is rejected or until the insurance policy is issued.
- A document in which the parties to a sale of real property declare their intention to transfer ownership of the property. The document usually includes a memorandum of the important points of the parties’ contract and is usually accompanied by the buyer’s first payment.
- The buyer’s first payment toward the purchase of real property. See also earnest money.
binder - Medical Definition