- The definition of a bazaar is a shopping district or market where a variety of goods are sold.
An example of a bazaar is a Middle Eastern market outside with many booths selling different items.
Dried food for sale at a bazaar.
bazaar definition by Webster's New World
- a market or street of shops and stalls, esp. in Middle Eastern countries
- a shop for selling various kinds of goods
- a sale of various articles, usually to raise money for a club, church, etc.
Origin: Persian bāzār, a market
bazaar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A market consisting of a street lined with shops and stalls, especially one in the Middle East.
- A shop or a part of a store in which miscellaneous articles are sold.
- A fair or sale at which miscellaneous articles are sold, often for charitable purposes.
Origin: Italian bazarro and Urdu bāzār, both from Persian; see wes-3 in Indo-European roots.