- a rod on which a wheel turns, or one connected to a wheel so that they turn together
- a bar connecting two opposite wheels, as of an automobile
- the spindle at either end of such a bar
Origin: Middle English axel (only inch(es) compound axeltre): see axletree
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A supporting shaft or member on or with which a wheel or a set of wheels revolves.
- a. The spindle of an axletree.b. Either end of an axletree.
Origin: Middle English axel, from Old Norse xull.