axle definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a rod on which a wheel turns, or one connected to a wheel so that they turn together
- a bar connecting two opposite wheels, as of an automobile
- the spindle at either end of such a bar
Origin: Middle English axel (only in compound axeltre): see axletree
axle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A supporting shaft or member on or with which a wheel or a set of wheels revolves.
- a. The spindle of an axletree.b. Either end of an axletree.
Origin: Middle English axel, from Old Norse öxull.