- of, from, or like the stars
- Zool. of an aster in mitosis
- in theosophy, designating or of a universal substance supposedly existing at a level just beyond normal human perception
Origin of astralClassical Latin astralis ; from astrum, star ; from Classical Greek astron ; from ast?r, star
- Of, relating to, emanating from, or resembling the stars.
- Biology Of, relating to, or shaped like the mitotic aster; star-shaped.
- Of or relating to a supersensible body believed by theosophists to coexist with and survive the death of the human physical body: an astral body; astral projection.
Origin of astralLate Latin astralis, from Latin astrum, star, from Greek astron; see ster-3 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more astral, superlative most astral)
Late Latin astralis, from Latin astrum (“star”), from Ancient Greek ἄστρον (astron, “star”).