- The definition of astrakhan is the curly wavy fur of a lamb from the area around a city in Russia called Astrakhan.
Black or gray lamb fur from a Russian city in the Volga River Delta is an example of Astrakhan.
astrakhan definition by Webster's New World
- a loosely curled fur, a kind of karakul, made from the pelt of very young lambs originally bred near Astrakhan
- a wool fabric with a pile cut and curled to look like this
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
city & port in SW Russia, on the Volga River delta near the Caspian Sea: pop. 512,000
astrakhan definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The curly, wavy wool of young lambs from Astrakhan.
- A fabric with a curly looped pile, made to resemble this fur.
A city of southwest Russia on the Volga River delta. The Tartar city was conquered by Ivan the Terrible in 1556. Population: 501,000.