- The definition of astrakhan is the curly wavy fur of a lamb from the area around a city in Russia called Astrakhan.
Black or gray lamb fur from a Russian city in the Volga River Delta is an example of Astrakhan.
- a loosely curled fur, a kind of karakul, made from the pelt of very young lambs originally bred near Astrakhan
- a wool fabric with a pile cut and curled to look like this
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The curly, wavy wool of young lambs from Astrakhan.
- A fabric with a curly looped pile, made to resemble this fur.