- Influent is defined as something that flows in.
An example of influent is a river flowing into the ocean; influent river.
- The definition of an influent is something that flows into another.
An example of an influent is a stream that flows down to an alpine lake.
influent definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Latin influens: see influence
- anything flowing in, as a tributary
- an organism that has important interactions within an ecological community, but is not a dominant
influent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An inflow, especially a tributary.
- Ecology A nondominant organism in a community that exerts an important modifying effect.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin īnfluēns, īnfluent-, present participle of īnfluere, to flow in; see influence.