- Arouse is defined as to inspire awareness or excitement.
An example of the word arouse is when a teacher creates an excitement in students about learning.
- The definition of arouse is to awake.
An example of arouse is when a parent wakes a child to get him out of bed in the morning.
- to awaken, as from sleep
- to stir, as to action or strong feeling
- to evoke (some action or feeling); excite: to arouse pity
Origin of arousea-, intensive + rouse
transitive verba·roused, a·rous·ing, a·rous·es
- a. To cause (someone) to be active, attentive, or excited: The report aroused them to take action. The insult aroused him to anger.b. To stimulate sexual desire in.
- To give rise to (a feeling, for example); stir up: The odd sight aroused our curiosity. See Synonyms at provoke.
- To awaken (someone) from sleep.
Origin of arouseFrom rouse, on the model of such pairs as rise, arise.
(third-person singular simple present arouses, present participle arousing, simple past and past participle aroused)
a- + rouse.