The definition of annual is happening yearly.adjective
Easter, Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are each an example of an annual event.
An annual is defined as a plant that lives for only one year or season.noun
Geraniums and petunias are each an example of an annual.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- of or measured by a year
- happening or appearing once a year; yearly
- for a year's time, work, etc.: an annual wage
- lasting or living only one year or season, as some plants
Origin: ME & OFr annuel < LL annualis, a year old < L annus, year < IE *atnos < base *at-, to go, year > Goth athnam (dat. pl.), years, Sans átati, (he) goes
- a book, magazine, or report published once a year
- a plant that lives only one year or season
- annually adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Recurring, done, or performed every year; yearly: an annual medical examination.
- Of, relating to, or determined by a year: an annual income.
- Botany Living or growing for only one year or season.
- A periodical published yearly; a yearbook.
- Botany A plant that completes its entire life cycle in a single growing season.
Origin: Middle English annuel, from Old French, from Late Latin annuālis, ultimately from Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.
- anˈnu·al·ly adverb
annual - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.