- The definition of annual is happening yearly.
Easter, Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are each an example of an annual event.
- An annual is defined as a plant that lives for only one year or season.
Geraniums and petunias are each an example of an annual.
annual definition by Webster's New World
- of or measured by a year
- happening or appearing once a year; yearly
- for a year's time, work, etc.: an annual wage
- lasting or living only one year or season, as some plants
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French annuel ; from Late Latin annualis, a year old ; from Classical Latin annus, year ; from Indo-European an unverified form atnos ; from base an unverified form at-, to go, year from source Gothic athnam (dat. plural ), years, Sanskrit átati, (he) goes
- a book, magazine, or report published once a year
- a plant that lives only one year or season
- annually adverb
annual definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Recurring, done, or performed every year; yearly: an annual medical examination.
- Of, relating to, or determined by a year: an annual income.
- Botany Living or growing for only one year or season.
- A periodical published yearly; a yearbook.
- Botany A plant that completes its entire life cycle in a single growing season.
Origin: Middle English annuel, from Old French, from Late Latin annuālis, ultimately from Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.
- anˈnu·al·ly adverb
annual - Science Definition