- The definition of annual is happening yearly.
Easter, Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are each an example of an annual event.
- An annual is defined as a plant that lives for only one year or season.
Geraniums and petunias are each an example of an annual.
- of or measured by a year
- happening or appearing once a year; yearly
- for a year's time, work, etc.: an annual wage
- lasting or living only one year or season, as some plants
Origin of annualMiddle English and amp; Old French annuel ; from Late Latin annualis, a year old ; from Classical Latin annus, year ; from Indo-European an unverified form atnos ; from base an unverified form at-, to go, year from source Gothic athnam (dat. plural ), years, Sanskrit átati, (he) goes
- a book, magazine, or report published once a year
- a plant that lives only one year or season
- Recurring, done, or performed every year; yearly: an annual medical examination.
- Of, relating to, or determined by a year: an annual income.
- Botany Living or growing for only one year or season.
- A periodical published yearly; a yearbook.
- Botany A plant that completes its entire life cycle in a single growing season.
Origin of annualMiddle English annuel, from Old French, from Late Latin annualis, ultimately from Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.
- Happening once every year.
- an annual general meeting; an annual publication
- Of, for, or relating to a whole year, often as a recurring cycle; determined or reckoned by the year; accumulating in the course of a year; performed, executed, or completed over the course of a year. See also circannual.
- an annual salary; average annual profits; the annual course of the sun
- (botany, of a plant) Having a life cycle that is completed in only one growing season; e.g. beans, corn, marigold. Compare biennial, perennial.
- (entomology) Living or lasting just one season or year, as certain insects or insect colonies.
- An annual publication; a book, periodical, journal, report, comic book, yearbook, etc., which is published serially once a year, which may or may not be in addition to regular weekly or monthly publication.
- I read the magazine, but I usually don't purchase the annuals.
- (botany) An annual plant; a plant with a life span of just one growing season; a plant which naturally germinates, flowers and dies in one year. Compare biennial, perennial.
- I can't wait to plant my annuals in the spring.
First attested around 1382, from Late Latin annualem, annualis, related to Latin annalis, adjective form of annus (“year”). Used to categorize plants since 1710.