annual[an′yo̵̅o̅ əl; -yo̵ol, -yəl]
- The definition of annual is happening yearly.
Easter, Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving are each an example of an annual event.
- An annual is defined as a plant that lives for only one year or season.
Geraniums and petunias are each an example of an annual.
- of or measured by a year
- happening or appearing once a year; yearly
- for a year's time, work, etc.: an annual wage
- lasting or living only one year or season, as some plants
Origin of annualMiddle English and amp; Old French annuel ; from Late Latin annualis, a year old ; from Classical Latin annus, year ; from Indo-European an unverified form atnos ; from base an unverified form at-, to go, year from source Gothic athnam (dat. plural ), years, Sanskrit átati, (he) goes
- a book, magazine, or report published once a year
- a plant that lives only one year or season
- Recurring, done, or performed every year; yearly: an annual medical examination.
- Of, relating to, or determined by a year: an annual income.
- Botany Living or growing for only one year or season.
- A periodical published yearly; a yearbook.
- Botany A plant that completes its entire life cycle in a single growing season.
Origin of annualMiddle English annuel, from Old French, from Late Latin annuālis, ultimately from Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.
- Happening once every year.
- an annual general meeting; an annual publication
- Of, for, or relating to a whole year, often as a recurring cycle; determined or reckoned by the year; accumulating in the course of a year; performed, executed, or completed over the course of a year. See also circannual.
- an annual salary; average annual profits; the annual course of the sun
- (botany, of a plant) Having a life cycle that is completed in only one growing season; e.g. beans, corn, marigold. Compare biennial, perennial.
- (entomology) Living or lasting just one season or year, as certain insects or insect colonies.
- An annual publication; a book, periodical, journal, report, comic book, yearbook, etc., which is published serially once a year, which may or may not be in addition to regular weekly or monthly publication.
- I read the magazine, but I usually don't purchase the annuals.
- (botany) An annual plant; a plant with a life span of just one growing season; a plant which naturally germinates, flowers and dies in one year. Compare biennial, perennial.
- I can't wait to plant my annuals in the spring.