These hot air balloons are aloft.
- Aloft is defined as something that is elevated.
An example of something that could be aloft is a hot air balloon.
- The definition of aloft is to be on top of something.
An example of something being aloft is a helicopter on a building.
- far above the ground
- in the air; flying
- high above the deck of a ship; in the rigging or on a mast
Origin of aloftMiddle English ; from o, on, on + loft ; from Old Norse lopt: see loft
- In or into a high place; high or higher up: The balloon was drifting aloft on the wind.
- Up in or into the air: The plane was quickly aloft.
- Nautical At or toward the upper rigging.
Origin of aloftMiddle English, from Old Norse ā lopt : ā, in; see an- in Indo-European roots + lopt, air.
(comparative more aloft, superlative most aloft)
From Old Norse á lopti (“in the sky”)