- Aloft is defined as something that is elevated.
An example of something that could be aloft is a hot air balloon.
- The definition of aloft is to be on top of something.
An example of something being aloft is a helicopter on a building.
These hot air balloons are aloft.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- far above the ground
- in the air; flying
- high above the deck of a ship; in the rigging or on a mast
Origin: Middle English ; from o, on, on plush loft ; from Old Norse lopt: see loft
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- In or into a high place; high or higher up.
- Nautical At or toward the upper rigging.
Origin: Middle English, from Old Norse ā lopt : ā, in; see an- in Indo-European roots + lopt, air.