- The definition of an alcove is a small recessed section in a room, such as a nook.
An example of an alcove would be a small area in a restaurant, only partially enclosed, intended for private dining for a couple or small group.
A window alcove.
- a recessed section of a room, as a breakfast nook
- a secluded bower in a garden; summerhouse
Origin of alcoveFrench ; from Spanish alcoba ; from Arabic al-qubba ; from al, the + qubba, arch, vault, dome
- A recess or partly enclosed extension connected to or forming part of a room.
- A secluded structure, such as a bower, in a garden.
Origin of alcoveFrench alcôve, from Spanish alcoba, from Arabic al-qubba, the vault : al-, the, qubba, vault.