- The definition of an alcove is a small recessed section in a room, such as a nook.
An example of an alcove would be a small area in a restaurant, only partially enclosed, intended for private dining for a couple or small group.
A window alcove.
alcove definition by Webster's New World
- a recessed section of a room, as a breakfast nook
- a secluded bower in a garden; summerhouse
Origin: French ; from Spanish alcoba ; from Arabic al-qubba ; from al, the plush qubba, arch, vault, dome
alcove definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A recess or partly enclosed extension connected to or forming part of a room.
- A secluded structure, such as a bower, in a garden.
Origin: French alcôve, from Spanish alcoba, from Arabic al-qubba, the vault : al-, the + qubba, vault.