according toaccording to
- As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
- In keeping with: according to instructions.
- As determined by: a list arranged according to the alphabet.
- According to is shown as a preposition in all four American unabridged dictionaries MW3, RHU, Encarta, and AHD.
- The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (CGEL) classifies according as a preposition with to phrase as its complement, noting that the meaning when used as a preposition differs from the meaning of the "-ing" form of the verb accord.