- According means you attribute a statement to someone.
An example of according is when you say that Jim is the one who told you it was going to rain. You would say "According to Jim, it is going to rain."
- The definition of according is agreeing or being in harmony.
- An example of according is when a woman doesn’t wear white after Labor Day because it is an unwritten rule of fashion.
- An example of according is telling someone a story using the facts received from a newspaper article.
according definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
agreeing; in harmony
according - Phrases/Idioms
- to the degree that; in proportion as
- depending on whether; if
- in agreement with
- in the order of arranged according to size
- as stated in or reported by