- Abroad is defined as something done in any country or countries that are not your own.
An example of goods made abroad for the US customer are goods made in China.
- The definition of abroad is a country or countries which are not your home country.
For a person who lives in the US, visiting England is example of going abroad.
This ship carries goods made abroad.
abroad definition by Webster's New World
- broadly; far and wide
- in circulation; current: a report is abroad that he has won
- outside one's house; outdoors: to stroll abroad
- outside one's own country; to or in foreign countries
- ☆ to or in Europe
- wide of the mark; in error
Origin: Middle English abrode ; from on brod: see on and amp; broad
abroad definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adverb & adj.
- Out of one's own country.
- In a foreign country or countries.
- Away from one's home.
- In circulation; at large.
- Covering a large area; widely: “An epidemic is abroad in America” (Richard M. Smith).
- Not on target; in error.
Origin: Middle English abrod : a-, in, on; see a-2 + brod, broad; see broad.
abroad - Phrases/Idioms