- The definition of abridgment is the act of shortening something in length, especially a book, or is the shortened form of something.
1. An example of an abridgment is a person who takes a long book and who makes it shorter so it can be recorded on audio tape.2. The shortened version of a book is an example of an abridgment.
abridgment definition by Webster's New World
- an abridging or being abridged
- a curtailment, as of rights
- an abridged form, as of a book
Origin: Middle English abregement ; from Old French ; from abregier: see abridge
abridgment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of abridging or the state of being abridged.
- A written text that has been abridged.