- the land and waters under the jurisdiction of a nation, state, ruler, etc.
- a part of a country or empire that does not have the full status of a principal division; specif.,
- [alsoT-] a part of the U.S. having its own legislature but without the status of a state and under the administration of an appointed governor
- [alsoT-] a similar region, as in Canada or Australia, without the status of a province or state
- any large tract of land; region; district
- an assigned area, as of a traveling salesman or franchised dealer
- any specified area or region: foul territory in a ballpark
- a sphere or province of action, existence, thought, etc.
- the particular area occupied by an animal or group of animals; esp., the specific area appropriated by an animal or pair of animals, usually for breeding, nesting, and foraging purposes, and forcibly defended against by any intruders
- that half of the playing area defended by a specified team
Origin of territoryMiddle English from Classical Latin territorium from terra, Terra