All the witnesses have been sworn.
An example of to swear is exclaim “shit” when something bad happens.
To swear on one's honor.
An example of to swear is to take an oath on the Bible in a courtroom.
An example of to swear is to take a vow not to tell a secret.
He swore to do his duty.
To swear someone to secrecy; the witness has been sworn.
- to name (something held sacred) in taking an oath
- to have great faith or confidence in
- to give assurance for; guarantee
- to administer an oath to (a person taking office, a witness in a legal proceeding, etc.)
- to promise to give up, leave off, or renounce
- to obtain (a warrant for someone's arrest) by making a charge under oath
Origin of swear
- Middle English sweren from Old English swerian swer- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition