- that which surrounds
- [pl.] the things, conditions, influences, etc. that surround a given place or person; environment
The definition of surrounding refers to everything that is around a particular person, place or thing.
The lawn and bushes that are all around your house are an example of things that would be described as surrounding your house.
- Present participle of surround.
- outlaying area; area in proximity to something
- which surrounds something
- Talon booked up all the surrounding hotels.
- The surrounding mountains are lofty and rugged.
- It was the mystery surrounding the family that kept her mind occupied – and Yancey.
- I'll do some digging in the surrounding areas.
- Surely you dwell here or in one of these surrounding towns.