- simple past tense and past participle of span
- An example of spanned is for a bridge to have reached across the bay from the city to an island; it spanned the bay.
- An example of spanned is for a bridge to be five miles long; it spanned five miles.
Spanned is defined as to have extended across or to have measured.
- The river is spanned just above the Frei Hafen by a triple-arched railway bridge, 1339 ft.
- The river is spanned here by a railway bridge.
- Is also spanned by two fine railway bridges.
- It is intersected by the sluggish Park river, which is spanned by ten bridges.
- The Salzach is spanned by four bridges, including a railway bridge.