- A low box filled with sand for children to play in.
- A litter box, especially for a cat.
- (US) A children's play area consisting of a box filled with sand.
- A box filled with sand that is shaped to form a mould for metal casting.
- A container for sand or pounce, used historically before blotting paper.
- (computing) An isolated area where a program can be executed with a restricted portion of the resources available.
- Running a program in a sandbox can prevent it from doing any damage to the system.
- (Wiktionary and WMF jargon) A page on a wiki where users are free to experiment without destroying or damaging any legitimate content.
(third-person singular simple present sandboxes, present participle sandboxing, simple past and past participle sandboxed)
- (computing) To restrict (a program, etc.) by placing it in a sandbox.
sandbox - Computer Definition
A restricted environment in which certain functions are prohibited. For example, deleting files and modifying system information such as Registry settings and other control panel functions may be prohibited. Sandboxes are used to isolate one running application from another and to run software downloaded from the Internet that is not entirely trusted. Virtual Machines Are Sandboxes One of the features of virtualization is the creation of virtual machines, which are independent, isolated sandboxes within the computer (see virtual machine). See Java sandbox and behavior detection.
- Kids pull them out of Happy Meals and pop them out of plastic eggs over and over, just to be proudly displayed on the forearm for a few hours and lost in some rainy gutter or sandbox before the sun sets the following day.
- Taking it even further, if you manage to achieve "True Jedi Status" on every level, then you unlock the Sandbox.
- The gameplay is very akin to the critically acclaimed, commercially ignored "War of the Monsters", in that the player is dropped into a virtual sandbox of sorts and given the freedom to smash any and everything one can.
- Sandbox Software is another local technology business that offers web design and SEO services, but this particular company also offers custom software programming as well.
- A children's sandbox is the perfect place to build a sandcastle or other sandy creations, such as crabs, lobsters, shells and sea turtles.