A strategy to safeguard the country from attack; investments that can help safeguard one's savings.
- A precaution or protective stipulation.
- A permit or pass allowing safe passage.
- (now rare) A convoy or guard.
- A safety device, as on machinery.
- A precautionary measure.The doctor prescribed antibiotics as a safeguard against infection.
- A mechanical device designed to prevent accidents or injury.
- A protective stipulation, as in a contract.
- A safe-conduct.
A water alarm put under a dishwasher to prevent a flood if the dishwasher leaks is an example of a safeguard.