Saying "please" when you want something is an example of the norm.
Normed the test on the basis of last year's results.
- Such a standard of achievement as represented by the median or average achievement of a large group.
- A standard of conduct that should or must be followed.
- A way of behaving that is typical of a certain group.
Not eating your children is just one of those societal norms.
Origin of norm
- French norme from Old French from Latin norma carpenter's square, norm gnō- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- Back-formation from normed.