transitive verbmeant , mean′ing
- to have in mind; intend; purpose: he means to go
- to intend or design for a certain person or purpose: a gift meant for you
- to intend to express, signify, or indicate: to say what one means
- to be used to convey; denote: the German word “ja” means “yes”
- to be a sign, indication, or herald of; signify: this means war!
Origin of meanMiddle English menen from Old English mænan, to mean, tell, complain, akin to German meinen, to have in mind, have as opinion from Indo-European base an unverified form meino-, opinion, intent from source Old Irish mian, wish, desire
mean well by