- a large mass of water vapor at or just above the earth's surface resembling a fog, but less dense
- a thin film of moisture condensed on a surface in droplets
- a cloud of dust, smoke, gas, etc.
- a fine spray, as of medication or perfume
- a cloudiness or film before the eyes, dimming or blurring the vision: through a mist of tears
- anything that dims or obscures the understanding, memory, etc.
Origin of mistMiddle English from OE, darkness, mist, akin to Old Norse mistr, dark weather from Indo-European base an unverified form meigh-, to blink, be dim from source Sanskrit an unverified form m?ghá-, cloud
- to make misty; dim or obscure as with a mist
- to spray the leaves of (a houseplant) with water from a mister