- an investing or being invested
- an outer covering
- investiture (sense )
- the investing of money
- the amount invested
- anything in which money is or may be invested
An example of an investment is money put into a 401K plan.
- The act of investing.
- An amount invested.
- Property or another possession acquired for future financial return or benefit.
- A commitment, as of time or support.
- A military siege.
- Archaic a. A garment; a vestment.b. An outer covering or layer.
- The act of investing, or state of being invested.
- (finance) A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its use.
- That with which anyone is invested; a vestment.
- (military) The act of surrounding, blocking up, or besieging by an armed force, or the state of being so surrounded.
- A mixture of silica sand and plaster which, by surrounding a wax pattern, creates a negative mold of the form used for casting, among other metals, bronze.
invest + -ment
investment - Investment & Finance Definition
A commitment of dollars for a period of time with the expectation or hope of receiving future payments that will cover any inflation and compensate the investor for the time that the funds are committed and the uncertainty of any future return. An investment may be made by any person or entity, including corporations, pension funds, or a government, and be made in land, equipment, stocks, bonds, commodities, or any other financial instrument.
- Your investment would be for naught.
- Goodness is the only investment that never fails.
- The town fell after an investment of three months.
- The hospital, opened in 1914, represents an investment of $2,000,000, the sum left 50 years ago by Robert A.
- The Investment of Metz (Aug.