a person who gathers confidential information and conducts an investigation for an individual or company; private detective
also private investigator
One, especially a detective, who investigates.
- One who investigates.
Attested in the mid‐16th Century CE; from Latin investigator, from investigare.
- The outcome of the whole matter is that the investigator is still baffled in his attempt to discover what effect the use of "futures" is having upon prices to-day.
- As an investigator he kept always the scientist's attitude.
- Have also been determined by the same investigator (loc. cit.).
- The most comprehensive problem before the investigator is that of the constitution of the universe.
- But his theological writings are forgotten, and he is chiefly remembered as a scientific investigator who contributed especially to the chemistry of gases.