(third-person singular simple present ignites, present participle igniting, simple past and past participle ignited)
- to set fire to (something), to light (something)
- to spark off (something), to enthuse
- (intransitive) to commence burning.
- (chemistry) To subject to the action of intense heat; to heat strongly; often said of incombustible or infusible substances.
- to ignite iron or platinum
From Latin ignitus, past participle of igniō, ignire (“to set on fire, ignite”). Derived from Latin ignis (“fire”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₁ngʷni- and, thus, related to Sanskrit अग्नि (agní), Lithuanian ugnis and Russian огонь (ogonʹ).