- one pulsation, or full contraction and dilation, of the heart
- the continuous series of such pulsations constituting the rhythmic beating of the heart: an irregular heartbeat
- a very brief period of time; moment; instant: reappeared in a heartbeat
- the vital core or motivating force
- When your heart pulses and pumps blood throughout your body, this is an example of a heartbeat.
- When you feel as if the entire summer passed you by in just a single second, this is an example of a time when you might say it went by in a heartbeat.
- When the president of a club is the one that keeps the entire club together and functioning, this is an example of a time when the president is the heartbeat.
Heartbeat is defined as the pulse of your heart, or a single short moment, or something that acts as a unifying force.
- a. A single complete pulsation of the heart.b. The general nature of the heart's contractions or the rate at which they occur: the baby's heartbeat; a fast heartbeat.
- A vital force or driving impulse: Broadway is the heartbeat of the New York City theater world.
- An instant: I'll be there in a heartbeat.
- One pulsation of the heart; especially an irregular one, hence the emotion which causes it.
- The policeman waited for a heartbeat in vain
- He alone gives me such heartbeats
- The rhythm at which a heart pulsates, a cardiac indicator
- If your heartbeat doesn't normalize soon, consult a doctor!
- A driving impulse or vital force.
- Music is the heartbeat of the people.
- A very short space of time; an instant.
- The ambulance arrived in a heartbeat.
- (computing) A periodic signal generated by hardware or software to indicate normal operation or to synchronize other parts of a system.
heartbeat - Computer Definition
heartbeat - Medical Definition
- A single complete pulsation of the heart.
- The general nature of the heart's contractions or the rate at which they occur: the baby's heartbeat; a fast heartbeat.
- Her stomach fluttered, her heartbeat fast.
- It made her heartbeat elevate, her body sweat.
- The wolf's heartbeat matched the rhythm of Elisabeth's.
- He had a heartbeat, one that reverberated through her as if it was her own.
- Her heartbeat was faint and slow.