The definition of a guideline is something used to define how a judgment or policy is made.
An example of a guideline is all actors trying out for a part by performing a scene made popular by a famous actor.
a standard or principle by which to make a judgment or determine a policy or course of action
A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action: guidelines for the completion of tax returns.
- According to their website, although they don't have to meet any U.S. Food & Drug Administration guidelines regarding sodium, they state "we maintain a self-imposed guideline to ensure great taste and good health..."
- On the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website, there is a helpful pictorial guideline to performing a variety of stretches for every part of the body, including the shoulders, lower back, hips, knees, calves, and hamstrings.
- Psychologists and psychiatrists typically use the criteria listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV) as a guideline for diagnosis of bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses.
- This guideline is far from being hard and fast -- certain Motorola cell phones, for example, can play MP3s but cannot play videos -- so it is best to check with your local retailer or directly with the manufacturer.
- Some couples may choose to follow this cost guideline, but in the end a couple should be comfortable with the amount they choose to spend regardless of how many or how few paychecks are needed to pay for the ring.