The definition of a guideline is something used to define how a judgment or policy is made.
An example of a guideline is all actors trying out for a part by performing a scene made popular by a famous actor.
a standard or principle by which to make a judgment or determine a policy or course of action
A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action: guidelines for the completion of tax returns.
- Some couples may choose to follow this cost guideline, but in the end a couple should be comfortable with the amount they choose to spend regardless of how many or how few paychecks are needed to pay for the ring.
- The idea of spending the equivalent of two months' salary for an engagement ring is a guideline perpetrated by the diamond industry that has no real bearing on what a couple should realistically spend.
- According to their website, although they don't have to meet any U.S. Food & Drug Administration guidelines regarding sodium, they state "we maintain a self-imposed guideline to ensure great taste and good health..."
- A bit of simple makeup, toned-down jewelry and perfume and a classy, but not too conservative look is a good guideline for women - guys can never go wrong with a bit of grooming and subtle cologne.
- On the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website, there is a helpful pictorial guideline to performing a variety of stretches for every part of the body, including the shoulders, lower back, hips, knees, calves, and hamstrings.