- to prepare (an author's works, journals, letters, etc.) for publication, by selection, arrangement, and annotation
- to revise and make ready (a manuscript) for publication
- to supervise the publication of and set the policy for (a newspaper, periodical, reference book, etc.)
- to prepare (a film, tape, or recording) for presentation by cutting and splicing, dubbing, rearranging, etc.
- to make additions, deletions, or other changes in (a computer file)
Origin of editback-formation from editor