- made smaller; lessened; reduced
- Music lessened by a half step: said of intervals or of chords formed with such an interval
The definition of diminished is a person or thing that has decreased or has been made smaller.
An example of diminished are reservoir water levels after a long drought.
- simple past tense and past participle of diminish
- Giving birth had no way diminished her beauty.
- It has diminished greatly since Smolensk.
- The number of convicts has somewhat diminished of late years and in 1901 stood at 11,947.
- Income from land has diminished on the whole.
- Varley, who proposed to make use of it in a telegraphic receiving instrument.4 In Dolbear's instrument one plate of a condenser was a flexible diaphragm, connected with the telephone line in such a way that the varying electric potential produced by the action of the transmitting telephone caused an increased or diminished charge in the condenser.