- what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare
- figuratively, what a person regularly reads, listens to, does, etc.
- a program or plan consisting of a special or limited selection of food and drink and designed to promote health or a gain or loss of weight; specif., such a program or plan designed to promote weight loss
- the food and drink such a plan prescribes
Origin of dietMiddle English diete from Old French from Medieval Latin dieta, diet, daily food allowance (meaning influenced, influence by diet) from Classical Latin diaeta from Classical Greek diaita, way of life, regimen from dia-, through + root of aisa, fate from Indo-European an unverified form aito-, share from base an unverified form ai-, to give, allot
Origin of dietME dieten < ML dietare
- of or for a diet, esp. one designed for weight loss: diet pills
- containing fewer calories and hence not promoting weight gain: diet cola