The definition of deferential is behavior or actions that show respect.
An example ofdeferential behavior is when you stand up when a judge enters the room in order to show respect to the judge.
Marked by or exhibiting deference.
(comparative more deferential, superlative most deferential)
- The young are deferential to their elders.
- Jetr met his gaze with a small smile and deferential bow of his head.
- Of this quality there was no trace in his manner, which was courteous, conciliatory and even deferential; nor in his speech, which breathed an almost exaggerated humility.
- `Ali, who was very deferential to any exhibition of piety, allowed him to escape unpunished.
- "This is what I want, my dear fellow," said the count to the deferential young man who had entered.