- the action of rising up; specif., an outbreak against a government; revolt
- an upward slope or ascent
The definition of an uprising is the action of standing up to authority or government.
An example of an uprising is a civil revolution.
- A popular revolt against a government or its policies; a rebellion.
- The act or an instance of rising or rising up.
- Present participle of uprise.
- Glorious is thine uprising from the horizon.
- What reason was there for assuming any probability of an uprising in the city?
- In the Mutiny of 1857 Morar was the scene of the most serious uprising in Central India.
- In 89 he was expelled by a popular uprising and perished the following year in a sea-fight with the Alexandrian ships off Cyprus.
- The Hussite movement was also a democratic one, an uprising of the peasantry against the landowners at a period when a third of the soil belonged to the clergy.