- to continue to be or exist; have existence as a reality, entity, etc.
- to continue to be in use, force, etc.
- to continue to live; remain alive (on sustenance, by specific means, etc.); be sustained
- to consist or inhere (in)
- Philos. to be logically conceivable and have being as a conceptual entity that may be the subject of true statements
Origin of subsistClassical Latin subsistere, to stand still, stay, abide from sub-, under + sistere, to place, stand, reduplicated, reduplication of base of stare, to stand